1. Openness and transparency
2. Personal information
Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can be reasonably ascertained, from that information or opinion. Personal information we may collect from you includes, without limitation, your name, address, email address, telephone number(s) and date of birth. Personal information also includes credit information. Credit information is personal information or an opinion about you that has a bearing on credit that has been provided to you or that you have applied for. Credit information includes information about credit that was applied for or provided to you for domestic, household, personal or other investment purposes as well as information about you where you are a guarantor of a loan.
Kogan will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. If it is reasonable and practical to do so, Kogan will only collect personal information about you directly from you. Kogan will not collect personal information unless the information is reasonably necessary for our functions and activities.
Personal information may be collected by Kogan in a number of circumstances, including when you:
- make an enquiry with us via email or telephone;
- visit our websites;
- lodge an enquiry or application in relation to any Kogan products or services; or
- apply for employment with Kogan.
Kogan may enter into arrangements with third parties (including third parties with whom Kogan has partnered to provide you with its various products or services using the Kogan brand) to collect your personal information in circumstances where the third party notifies you, at the time of collection, that your personal information will be provided to Kogan.
If you are applying for a product or service offered on Koganmoney.com.au, Kogan or our third party partners may also collect credit-related personal information about you as a result of credit checks that third parties carry out in connection with your application.
The kinds of credit-related personal information Kogan may collect about you includes:
- information about your identity;
- information about consumer credit loans that you currently have applied for including:
- repayment history information;
- the type and amount of credit sought in each application;
- default and payment information;
- information about any court proceedings;
- credit eligibility information, which is credit reporting information supplied to us by a credit reporting body, and any information that we derive from it.
If you use a pseudonym when dealing with us or you do not provide identifiable information Kogan may not be able to provide you with any or all of our services as requested. If you wish to remain anonymous when you use our website do not sign into it or provide any information that might identify you.
Kogan requires individuals to provide accurate, up-to-date and complete personal information at the time it is collected.
4. What does Kogan do with your personal information?
In addition to any purpose notified to you at the time of collection Kogan uses your personal information for the purpose for which it has been provided, for reasonably related secondary purposes and for the purposes of:
- providing our products and services to you;
- providing Kogan branded products and services that are provided by our third party partners;
- our internal management needs;
- our marketing activities, including marketing activities relating to Kogan branded products and services that are provided by our third party partners;
- responding to any inquiries or comments that you submit to us;
- assessing, processing and managing your applications for Kogan products and services or Kogan branded products and services offered by our third party partners, including to assess your credit risk and our risk;
- any other purpose you have consented to; and
- any use which is required or authorised by law.
5. Disclosure of personal information
Kogan may disclose your personal information:
- to third-parties we ordinarily engage for the above purposes;
- organisations that provide products or services used or marketed by Kogan;
- any person or entity to whom you have consented to Kogan disclosing your personal information to; and
- any person or entity to whom we are required or authorised to disclose your personal information to in accordance with the law.
6. Access and Management
You may request access to your personal information in our customer account database, or seek correction of it, by contacting our customer service team. See section 8: Contact information.
Kogan may charge a reasonable fee that is not excessive to cover the charges of retrieving your personal information from our customer account database. Kogan will not charge you for making the request.
If you believe that Kogan holds personal information about you in our customer account database that is not accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant or information that is misleading then you may request its amendment and Kogan will respond to your request within a reasonable time. Kogan will not charge you for correcting your personal information.
If Kogan no longer needs your personal information for any the purposes set out in this policy, or as otherwise required by law, Kogan will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy the information or to de-identify it.
Kogan will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
7. Opting Out
At any time you may opt out of receiving direct marketing communications from us. Unless you opt out, your consent to receive direct marketing communications from us and to the handling of your personal information as detailed above, will continue. To opt out email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Cross-border disclosure
Kogan may transfer your personal information to a person who is in a foreign country to assist Kogan in providing you with the service that you have requested.
Kogan will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the information that is transferred to third parties located outside of Australia will not be held, used or disclosed by the recipient of the information in a manner that is inconsistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
9. Contact information
If you require further information regarding this policy or wish to make a complaint about a breach of the APPs by Kogan, please contact us at email@example.com or send mail to: Attn: Privacy Officer, Kogan, GPO Box 2579, Melbourne VIC 3001. Our office is located at 136 Buckhurst Street, South Melbourne, VIC 3205. A senior member of staff will review your complaint within 5 business days and respond to you in writing advising what action(s) Kogan will take as a result of your complaint.
10. Kogan website
When transmitting personal information from your computer to a Kogan website or to a Kogan branded website operated by one of our third party partners, you must keep in mind that the transmission of information over the Internet is not always completely secure or error-free. Other than liability that cannot lawfully be excluded, Kogan will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security or any unintended loss or disclosure of that information.
Kogan operated websites and Kogan branded websites operated by our third party partners may use "cookies" to help personalise your online experience and save you time across the Kogan Group websites (including, but not limited to Kogan.com, Dicksmith.com.au, Tandy.com.au, Koganinternet.com.au, Koganmobile.com.au, Koganinsurance.com.au, Koganhealth.com.au, Koganlifeinsurance.com.au, Koganpetinsurance.com.au, Koganmoney.com.au and homeloans.koganmoney.com.au). You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Kogan Group websites. Some Kogan Group websites are operated and maintained by third parties to whom Kogan has partnered with to provide you with their products and services under the Kogan brand. These websites will be subject to the website terms and conditions of the third party partner who operates the website, and any transactions you conduct on these websites will be between you and the third party partner.