Kogan.com Ethical & Sustainable Sourcing
At Kogan.com, we pride ourselves on being the price leader in the market and always having the best deals on the products that are most in demand. However, as we strive for better prices, we will never compromise our moral position on how we believe business should be carried-out.
We are not only building a great business, we are doing it in the right way. Labour rights, decent working conditions and environmental compliance are of the utmost importance to the Kogan.com business.
We place great emphasis on working solely with ethical suppliers and expect our suppliers to comply with the mandatory non-negotiable requirements of our Policy, with preference among those suppliers going to the ones that also respond to the desirable elements (see below for a list of our requirements and desirable elements). Kogan.com team members and external auditors have the right to visit suppliers and conduct onsite inspections, both planned and unplanned, in order to ensure compliance.
We have shared below some details about our current supply chain which helps to create the tens of thousands of in-demand products we sell. This is intended to provide customers with an insight into the strict guidelines we demand of our suppliers and the type of monitoring we conduct.
- Our manufacturing partners employ thousands of workers in Europe and Asia
- We have hundreds of manufacturing partners across the world, predominantly in China
- We do not have any manufacturing partners in Bangladesh, as we deem the working conditions to be unacceptable
Non-negotiable requirements for working with Kogan.com
- Our manufacturing partners should pay above the average wage for the region in which it is based
- The employees of our manufacturing partners should be employed under their own free will and are free to leave to find new opportunities as they see fit
- Our manufacturing partners should only employ people who are legally allowed to be employed
- Our manufacturing partners should not employ people younger than 16
- All factories should comply with their local regulations and laws
- All factories should provide an environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, caste, national origin, age, disability, gender, marital status or sexual orientation
- All employees of our manufacturing partners work fewer than 60 hours each week
Desirable requirements for working with Kogan.com
- Factories should provide their employees with complimentary meals
- Factories should provide their employees with complimentary accomodation
- Factories should provide their employees with free health care services
- Where relevant, factories should meet ISO 9001 : 2008 standards
- Where relevant, factories should be certified to ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System)
- Where relevant, factories should be certified to ISO 8000 : 2008 standards (Social Responsibility)
- Where relevant, factories should be certified to OHSAS 18001 : 2007 standards (OH&S)
In order to ensure we are getting the best prices for our customers, we source products locally and internationally, from many countries.
Our primary duty does not begin and end with the shopping experience for people visiting our website. It goes far into the supply chain for products we design and produce in conjunction with our manufacturing partners.
This Ethical Sourcing Policy outlines the driving principles behind how we source products around the world and the expectations and demands for anyone we do business with.
Kogan.com is committed to upholding human rights, fair working conditions and environmental protection.
We carry out the highest legal, moral and ethical standards in all our dealings.
Independent third-party audits, dated within 12 months from a respected auditing provider, are required of manufacturers who will supply products in excess of a predetermined threshold. Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) audits have been completed for key suppliers, through which an evaluation of the supplier’s processes and working conditions is completed. Where available, Modern Slavery Statements or other forms of assurance produced by suppliers is obtained for record keeping.
We are committed to immediately cease dealing with any supplier found to contravene any of our non-negotiable standards. For suppliers who do not meet our high standards in other desirable areas, we will work closely with them to help improve their operations.
We will remain transparent about our dealings with our suppliers and regularly update the public and any stakeholders with accurate information.
We demand that our suppliers meet the high standards set out in this policy document.
Any suppliers that we deal with must meet these standards, regardless of where they are in the world. Full compliance with these guidelines is mandatory for a supplier to be considered eligible to work with Kogan.com.
Many of these requirements are drawn from the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI). These standards are based on the principles of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
We only work with suppliers that do not allow their employees to work more than 60 hours in any given one week period. Employees shall not be required to work more than 60 hours in any given one week period.
- Bribery and corruption
We only deal with honest suppliers who show integrity. This is the only way to ensure that all our products are top quality and manufactured in an ethical and sustainable manner.
- Suppliers shall not engage in acts of bribery
- Suppliers shall not engage in acts of corruption
- Suppliers shall not falsify documents and records
- Labour rights
We only work with suppliers that treat their staff with respect and provide them with excellent work conditions. We believe happy staff make better products.
- Employment is freely chosen
- There is no forced, bonded or involuntary prison labour
- Workers are not required to lodge deposits or their identity papers with their employer and are free to leave their employer after reasonable notice
- The employer must not use physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment, verbal abuse or other forms of intimidation on their employees
We only engage suppliers that proactively fight discrimination and have policies in place to ensure this. We believe in a meritocracy, rewarding effort, skill, and contribution.
- The employer must not discriminate in hiring, compensations, access to training, promotion, termination, or retirement based on race, caste, national origin, age, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation
- Working conditions
We only deal with suppliers who work hard to provide fantastic working conditions for every member of their staff. It doesn’t matter where in the world you are, a safe and clean workplace is vital.
- A safe and hygienic working environment shall be provided. Adequate steps shall be taken to prevent accidents and injury in the working environment
- Workers shall receive regular and recorded health and safety training
We only work with suppliers that recognise the importance of fair remuneration for their staff. Everyone deserves to be adequately compensated for their hard work
- Workers must be paid at or above the average wage for the location and industry in which they are employed
- Entitlement to work
We only engage suppliers that employ workers who have a legal entitlement to be employed. We believe in a fair workforce regardless of the region or location
- Only workers with a legal right to work shall be employed or used by the supplier
- Child labour
We only deal with suppliers that work hard to actively stamp out underage workers. We abhor the thought of children working when they should be enjoying their childhood
- The employer must not employ any workers under the age of 16
- The employer must only use sub contracted companies that ensure all employees are above the age of 16
We only engage suppliers that meet or exceed all environmental obligations. We believe in building great products in harmony with, rather than in opposition with, the environment
- The company’s factories, or any sub contracted company, must comply with all local environmental regulations and laws
In addition to our non-negotiable requirements of all suppliers that engage with Kogan.com, we have a set of criteria that form our desirable qualities in our manufacturing partners.
- The company should provide workers with complimentary meals throughout the work day
- The company should provide workers with complimentary beverages throughout the work day
- The company should provide workers with complimentary accommodation where necessary
- The company should provide workers with complimentary transportation where necessary
- The company should provide workers with complimentary health care services
- The company should have an on-site healthcare physician to assist staff as deemed necessary
- The company’s factories, and any subcontracted factories, should have ISO 9001 Certification, where applicable
- The company’s factories, and any subcontracted factories, should have ISO 14001 Certification, where applicable
- The company’s factories, and any subcontracted factories, should have SA 8000 Certification, where applicable
- The company’s factories, and any subcontracted factories, should have OHSAS 18001 Certification , where applicable