Added to Cart
More deals you may like
The Dr. Phibes Companion: The Morbidly Romantic History of the Classic Vincent Price Horror Film Series
This product is shipped via the most economical route and is estimated to be delivered within 2-3 weeks of placing your order.
The Full Story of the Greatest Art Deco
Horror/Comedy/Romance/Musicals Ever Made!
In The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) and its sequel, Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972), horror great Vincent Price starred as vaudevillian organist and super-genius Dr. Anton Phibes, architect of incredibly ingenious murders. Set in 1920s London and Egypt, their outstanding Art Deco production design, absurd humor, and soaring romance made them hits, beloved by generations of horror aficionados.
Now, master Phibesologist Justin Humphreys expands his extensive previous writings
on the series to tell the full story of these unique cinematic masterpieces. The Dr. Phibes Companion includes:
- An expanded version of “The Kind of Fiend Who Wins,” the definitive history of The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
– A new essay on the making of Dr. Phibes Rises Again.
– A new foreword by Dr. Phibes’ creator, William Goldstein.
– Interviews with many of the series’ creators, including director Robert Fuest, screenwriters William Goldstein and James Whiton, art director Brian Eatwell, sound designer Peter Lennard, including previously unpublished conversations with series vets.
– Never-before-seen pages from director Robert Fuest’s personal shooting script.
– Previously unpublished behind-the-scenes photographs.
– Dozens of illustrations from the Phibes films.
– A thorough history of the “unphilmed” Phibes sequels.
– And much, much more.
Read on, relax, and enjoy. The organ plays till midnight. . .
Praise for Justin Humphreys’ essay “The Kind of Fiend Who Wins: The Making of The Abominable Dr. Phibes”
“Your magazine—or, more aptly, book—on Dr. Phibes is quite remarkable. I’ve rarely seen such a definitive study of a movie anthologized and written with such passion and painstaking detail. . . I did see Phibes again about a month ago and it is one of those films that always yields some new delightful pleasures upon viewing again.”
– Stanley Weiser, screenwriter: Wall Street, W.
Justin Humphreys is a curator, writer, consultant, and film historian who works for the
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.
Related CategoriesNon-FictionKids & Children > Picture Books & Early LearningKids & Children > Children's FictionNon-Fiction Books > Cooking, Food & DrinkChildren & Teenagers / Young Adults > Children's FictionNon-Fiction Books > Arts & EntertainmentNon-Fiction Books > Family & HealthNon-Fiction Books > Crafts & HandiworkDramaText Books > Higher Education & Vocational Textbooks