Added to Cart
More deals you may like
This product is shipped via the most economical route and is estimated to be delivered within 2-3 weeks of your order leaving the warehouse.
Naked Stalk, The
Jealous Tunnel/About Face
Jade Stalk, The
Scenes (On The Road to Shrub 2)
First Cutting, The
Song Of The Spirit Farmer
I Carry Your Heart
- TAPROOT is an autobiographical myth told in music.
- Personnel: Michael Hedges (vocals, guitar, harp guitar, flute, whistle, piano, synthesizers, bass, drums, drum programming); Mike Moore (saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet); Mike Manring (bass); Bryan Lanser (drums); David Crosby, Graham Nash (background vocals); Mindy Rosenfeld, Hilleary Burgess, Mischa Hedges, Jasper Hedges, Oliver Burgess, Joe Skinner, Chip White, Andrew Weil, Thayne Alden Hedges (myth characters).
- Engineers: Michael Hedges, Steven Miller, Bryan Lanser, Stanley Johnston.
- Recorded at the Speech & Hearing Clinic, Mendocino, California and the Record Plant, Los Angeles, California.
- Personnel: David Crosby, Graham Nash (background vocals); Chip White, Mindy Rosenfeld, Hilleary Burgess, Oliver Burgess, Mischa Hedges, Joe Skinner, Jasper Hedges, Thayne Alden Hedges, Andrew Weil.
- Recording information: Record Plant, Los Angeles, CA; Speech & Hearing Clinic, Mendocino, CA.
- Photographer: Donald Graham.
- On this his fifth Windham Hill release, Michael Hedges relates characters from his self-described autobiographical myth with song. The mostly instrumental collection reveals no story elements as the guitarist uses his compositional skills to illustrate characters representative of his friends and loved ones. The music is touching in its purity and conveyance of honor and affection. A virtuoso guitarist, Hedges also incorporates tasteful synth patches, as well as a few percussion and wind instruments — presumably performed by the composer himself as no other musicians are credited. Fans of experimental guitar will enjoy the guitarist’s generous use of the Steinberg Trans-trem on tracks like “Nomad Land” and the unique exercise in acoustic tapping on “The Rootwitch.” More than just a new age technician, Hedges also demonstrates his immense melodic talent on brooding numbers like “The Naked Stalk” and “Scenes (On the Road to Shrub 2).” Celtic-influenced marches (“The First Cutting”) and groovy almost rock (“Nomad Land”) are included as well, providing for a dynamic, yet theatrically consistant listening experience. The closer “I Carry Your Heart” (adapted from the poetry of e.e. cummings) is the only track featuring Hedges’ smooth vocals, and perhaps the most poignant song included. With its yearning melodies and expressive yet mature emotional language, Taproot reinforces Hedges’ reputation as a gifted, self-realized composer, musician, and human being. ~ Vincent Jeffries
Producer: Michael Hedges
Format: CD (1 Disc); Stereo
Guest Artist: Graham Nash; David Crosby
Release Date: 1 February, 2011
Label: Windham Hill Records